How to Work Through Tantrums with your ToddlerHow to Work Through Tantrums with your Toddler


Tantrums in children can be defined as emotional outbursts like frustration or anger. They may involve crying, screaming, falling deliberately to the ground, kicking, holding their breath, running around or away, throwing and breaking things, and vomiting. 

Why do children have tantrums? 

Tantrums are usually thrown by children between the ages of 1 to 3 years when they develop emotional and social habits and they are common in both girls and boys. 

How can a tantrum be reduced? 

As already mentioned, tantrums are the expression of emotions in kids, and at this age, they cannot express themselves through words. Thus, to minimize the likelihood of tantrums, you need to: 

  • Reduce stress in infants 
  • Identify the factors that trigger a tantrum
  • Ensure they sleep and eat well before taking them out
  • Interact with them; talkabout emotions in general, what their emotions mean, and how they can be handled.
  • Give them positive attention. Praise and reward them for their positive behaviour. It will reduce negative behaviour and reduce tantrums. 
  • Ask them for their choice: what would they like to do, have an apple or an orange? Would they like to go to a park or for a drive?
  • Give in to their demands at times, if it is not too much. 

How to tackle your toddler when they throw tantrums? 

Staying calm is the first and foremost thing to do. If you – as a parent – lose your cool or become upset, it will only spiral the situation out of hand. 

If you’re in a public place with your child, you need to try and redirect your kid’s attention. If that doesn’t seem to work, keep your cool and simply leave. However, ensure the safety of your kids first. Just stay away while keeping a watch.

Waiting is another option you can try. As tantrums can start suddenly, they can stop quickly as well. However, if your child has been throwing tantrums over the most trivial reasons or for little or no reason at all, consult your General Physician or paediatrician.